I know this dish almost by heart. It one of my favorite stews. If you really care for a beef stew that melts in your mouth this is the one for you. Here's the recipe in Dutch, but I've also made (some sort of) a quick translation: "Maybe pigs cheeks are for many people an unknown product, but they are certainly worth a try. The meat is flavorful and tender as butter. Serve with fries, (pont-neuf style) an additional chicory salad and a nice beer. Perhaps you will have to order the meat. Ask the butcher to skin them. Take the pork cheeks in due time from the fridge and allow the meat to come to room temperature. This way you're less likely to have excess moisture loss during cooking. This dish can be put on the table from € 5.00 (7-8 US$) per person."
Ingredients for 2/3
1/2 clove of garlic
1 piece of white bread
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 bottles of Rodenbach beer (or simular)
1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, thyme, parsley stalks)
pepper & salt
and of course 1/2 kg pork cheeks (skinned)
Now we can cook.
- Peel the onions and shred them. Peel the garlic and crush the garlic to a pulp .
- Put a large casserole over medium heat. Melt a knob of butter.
- Fry the pieces of onion and crushed garlic in hot butter.
- Cut the pork cheeks into pieces . (classic pot roast cubes. )
- Melt a knob of butter into a frying pan on a sturdy fire.
- Season the meat with some ground pepper and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the pork cheek briefly until they have a golden brown color. With a large amount of meat best bake them in several turns.
- Put the meat ( that is not yet cooked inside ) in the stew with onion .
- Bind with kitchen string together a "bouquet garni". Use bay leaves, a few sprigs of thyme and (if available) some parsley stalks.
- Place the bouquet garni in the stew, along with a clove .
- Use the beer to the pan in which the meat was cooked to 'deglaze' Pour into the hot pan and stir all pan frequently loose. Pour the warm beer in the stew
with the meat.
- Sprinkle the sugar into the pot and lubricate the white bread with spicy mustard. Place the bread on top of the meat and put the lid on the pot. Let the stew simmer on a low heat for about 2 hours. Prepare the fries and salad only when the meat has been cooked an hour. Taste and add the result to taste some extra salt and pepper .